Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Stories in My Keeping


Stories in My Keeping

The night sits softly in my eyes tonight
…I’m glad the sun has set at last
if only my wayward thoughts were sleeping
… so many stories in my keeping…

I met him so many years ago
…I was a younger me…
who I no longer know
he was sitting by the railway line
all he owned tied up with twine…

on his lap a book of Dylan
opened at a certain page
he looked at me with such wisdom
that spoke volumes of his age…


we talked the afternoon away
just this gentle man and I
till the sun began slowly setting
in a distant western sky..

then he recited in deep warm tones
words that follow where ‘ere I roam-
They shall have stars at elbow and foot;
Though they go mad they shall be sane,
Though they sink through the sea they shall rise again;
Though lovers be lost love shall not;
And death shall have no dominion.”

then he looked at me spoke
in a voice akin a song…
I know the time is coming soon
in truth I am ready for that day
when I won’t wake from my final sleeping
go now… my stories are in your keeping…
sharonlee©
8/2/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment